A couple of weeks ago, one of my much loved moggies brought in a baby dove. You know, as a present. Believe me, I didn’t love Miss Raquel very much at all at the time. The bird was alive but Miss Raquel decided it was still a marvellous toy and was clearly chuffed with herself. I managed to rescue the bird from her, and went outside with it cradled in my hands to see if I could find it’s nest. Unable to find it I brought it back inside and looked for something warm and secure I could place it in.
While holding it, I was struck by how surprisingly warm and soft this little bird felt in my hands. I sat for a couple of minutes still cradling it, softly cooing to it and telling it everything was going to be okay. Time seemed to stand still.
I didn’t have any shoe boxes so I placed the little creature into, of all things, an Oroton carry bag lined with a soft polar fleece blanket, got in the car and drove to the Murdoch Emergency Vet Clinic. They were wonderful and said they would do their best.
Long story short, they weren’t able to save the baby dove. And I admit I shed a tear after I hung up the phone. Why? It wasn’t a beloved pet, it was just a random encounter. Well, I guess I cried because for a couple of precious minutes that day I was able to hold something that seemed so rare, fragile and beautiful all at once. I felt I connected briefly with this baby dove as it was completely reliant on me to save it’s life.
So, todays post is a small tribute to our feathered friends,their beauty and their grace. May they fly wild and free.
P.S. Miss Raquel has since disgraced herself further by bringing in a deceased rat and leaving it at the side of the bed – at 3am.
1. Porcelain Thermal Cup via Remedy $30.00
2. Feather Crown Illustration via Mini And Maximus $40.00 USD
3. Three-Tier Bird Wall Dot via Pony Rider $79.00
4. Guinea Fowl Feather Lampshade via Atelier Home – £49.95 GBP
5. File Folders with Peacock Feather Stamp (Set of 5) – via Etsy $6.50 USD
6. Feather Vase via Etsy $22.00
7. Silver Feather Quill via Hukkleberry $45.00
8. Feather of Guinea Fowl Organic Pillow via Etsy $28.00 USD
9. Florence Broadhurst Wallpaper via Signature Prints $380.00